Friday, May 21, 2010

A Mother's Worst Nightmare

See that sweet, innocent face? Please don't let it fool you. I love this child like crazy, but he can be a little monster that; I'm pretty sure enjoys getting into trouble. Don't get me wrong, I love this smile, and those adorable blue eyes; but if you look closer, you can see he is a little monster! I promise.

Neacel has NEVER given me a reason to be a paranoid mom. He listens (most of the time) and doesn't run off. Well on Wednesday that all changed. I was visiting my friend Jen and her little girl Jaycie. Neacel and Jaycie were playing outside on the patio. She lives on the main floor of her apartment, but there are basement ones under her, so I guess you could say she is on the second floor.

Jen was making some yummy cookies and I kept glancing out at the kiddos, they were playing peek a boo and just laughing. Then we hear her little one crying, I look over and the patio door was closed. Well, Neacel has recently learned how to close doors so I thought nothing of it. So I open it and look for Neacel, he isn't there! I look around her home, he isn't in there. I look on the patio again, and on the ground, thinking he might have somehow wiggled through the bars and fell. He isn't there, thank goodness, but at the same time DARN! Then we notice the front door slightly open. I look out there and don't see Neacel. So I look inside again, thinking my child wouldn't leave. He knows better. YEAH RIGHT! I ran around her complex screaming for Neacel, asking every person I came in contact with if they had seen a little boy in a black shirt and blue jeans. No one has. There is a park that is a decent distance away, and a bridge over a ditch leads to it. Knowing my child and his love for danger, I ran over there and check the ditch. I'm screaming bloody murder the whole time and thinking, what am I going to do if we don't find him? It was a split second between checking on the kids and his magic disappearing act! I keep running around and yelling for him, then I hear Jen say that she found him. The relief I felt was incredible. She found him on the top floor, he simply climbed up the stairs! WHAT?! Since when does he do this, he usually freaks if a door is closed and he doesn't know the area, apparently the stairs were too tempting!

I was so mad at him, yet so thankful that he was safe. I never in my life have felt that scared. I'm pretty sure that I had a heart attack, followed by a stroke and a few panic attacks. I felt horrible that I lost my child. I was so thankful that he was safe and nothing happened. I never wish that feeling of a missing child, even for a split second on any mother. Not even my worst enemy. Since then, he stays a lot closer to me. Lesson: Neacel only needs a second to run off, and I'm blessed that nothing happened to him.

On a more positive note, I took Neacel to the Dr. on Thursday for his 18 month appointment. He is 28 lbs and 33 1/2 inches. She told me that she could hear him in the hallway throwing a tantrum over me undressing him. She said that he is definitely going through the terrible 2's. Good news was that it doesn't get worse, bad news was he started before he was 2! She was very impressed with his speech and motor skills. She said he talks almost as much as a 2 year old, but uses some words that kids don't say till well after they turn 2. She said that he is a 2 year old in an 18 month old body.

She gave me the ok to potty train, so we are going to start a 3 day thing next Monday. Please pray for us! All together, she was very happy with everything, and thought it was amazing he is sleeping in a twin bed and never fought us about it. He is growing at a good rate, and it looks like magically he will be taller than average! YAY!!!

Quick pregnancy update. Baby girl (I'm totally guessing but pretty sure it is a girl) is doing great. Heart beat was perfect and Dr. Terry predicts a girl from the heartbeat; he said a boy with Neacel and he was right! I can feel her moving around a little more, but if I'm not paying attention then I don't feel a thing. I was able to do some begging, along with a white lie (I know I'm horrible and impatient) and said we will be out of town most of June (white lie, we will be gone for a total of maybe 4 days) and can I get the ultrasound done a little earlier than 20 weeks. He said of course, just to schedule it as close as I can to 20 weeks.

Well, June 10th, I'll be 18 weeks and 6 days, and we will find out what we are having! I swear it's a girl, but I still want my little Broden. I got my hopes up with Neacel with everyone saying I was having a girl, but deep deep deep down I knew it was a boy, this time, I'm just going with my gut. I really want a little boy for Neacel, and I know how to be a Mom to a boy so it wouldn't be anything new, but deep down I know its a girl. I can't deny it, but will be so excited if it's a boy! Either way, I just want a happy healthy baby, but wish for a boy more then a girl. Does that sound mean?

1 comment:

Curtis and Jen said...

I think you should invest in getting a backpack leash type thing for that boy. We should get him a monkey one. It would fit him so well:P