Sunday, August 8, 2010

We Made It!

I just thought I would write a quick little post about our trip to Ohio.
Wednesday was the first day on the road, we had a laundry basket full of snacks for Neacel and a diaper bag full of new Dollar Store toys and books. We were totally prepared. It was only suppose to be about a 10-12 hour drive, depending on stops for me and Neacel. Well, 15 hours later we arrived in North Platte, Nebraska. Neacel was a little grumpy but so were we so it was ok. Nick's back was killing him, my bum was killing me from sitting way to long and Neacel has never had to sit still that long so he was angry. We were about an hour out of Sidney, Nebraska....only about 2 1/2 hours from our hotel when our truck stalled. So we called Penske and a little over an hour later a mechanic was there and said he would have the truck fixed asap or he would tow us to sidney. We were tired and now stressed if we were going to make it on time....luckily it was a quick fix and we were back on the road in about 30-45 minutes. Thank goodness for Darin (the mechanic) and his good heart to help us out so quickly....he even ran to the store to grab a part instead of towing us. Then followed us for about an hour to make sure everything was ok.
Thursday was the day for traffic....goodness! I-80 kept going down to one lane and then because of the jerks who wanted to get over at the last minute we lost about an hour of time that day to just sitting in traffic. But the day only ended up being about a 12 hour trip so it was ok, and we had learned when to stop and how often for me so that helped a ton.
Friday, we were tired of the road, tired of sitting, tired of this big yellow stupid truck so we got up and on the road by 5am. Needless to say, Friday was the perfect trip. We pulled into our apartment complex by 3 and we were able to relax.

All in all, the trip was ok. Neacel did great, slept most of the time, and ate anytime he was awake. I didn't have problems with swelling, and Nick did an amazing job of getting us here and safely. Would I make the trip again? Not anytime soon. What did I learn? That we grow/eat way to much corn...I'm pretty sure that and the smell of cows is the best way to describe the whole way here. It was corn field after corn field, with a few major cities here and there.

We had a few problems with the apartment though, we realized that there was mold in our 1/2 bath and the ac didn't work along with a list of other things. We went down to the office yesterday morning because this just isn't ok and there were 8 guys here from the ward ready to help us unload the truck...and we wanted things fixed first. So Nick yelled at the girl in the office and long story short, everything is or has been taken care of. Maintenance was here within an hour fixing every little thing that Nick listed for them. The mold problem will be taken care of this week. They are going to rip the vanity out of our bathroom and put a new one in. I guess yelling sometimes does get things fixed. Nick feels bad about yelling at the girl though, he said she looked like she might cry so I think we will be making a trip over there with some cookies to say sorry and just explain it was stress and 35ish hrs in a truck! The ward had everything out of the truck within an hour and my family didn't hesitate to start unpacking. The house is in livable, semi organized condition...just with the mess of boxes and trash.

We are happy here, we love the area, and everyone from the ward was so kind. Nick even told me last night that one of the guys offered his home to us just in case things didn't work out with the apartment and they had to do something major to ours. He told nick they would be out of town for 3 weeks and we could stay there. How sweet and kind is that? He knows nothing about us other then we moved here from Utah and are trying to get comfy and he just offered his home. I was in complete shock when Nick said this, but it just reminds me that no matter where you are the church and its members are there in a heartbeat to help you out. It doesn't change state to state, its not something you have to search for, its there with open arms.

I know I said it would be a quick update, and it really wasn't but its about 10am and both the boys are sleeping. The house is quiet and my bowl of cereal was perfect...so I enjoyed sitting here with the bowl of cereal blogging about our interesting but fun past few days. We love and miss everyone, and I will update the blog as much as I can.

OH and also, since I can spill the beans now. My brother finally got his mission call. He will be serving in Riverside California! He reports to the MTC Oct. 13th!!!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad you made it. And that sounds like an awesome ward. We'll miss you here in SLC. Congrats to your brother! I'm from near Riverside. When I was a senior in HS, they split the mission there into San Bernardino and Riverside (I'm from the SB side).

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so happy for you guys! What an awesome guy to just offer up his house. That's amazing. I hope you guys get settled quickly and can start prepping for the arrival of baby number 2 :D

Jessica said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely! Post some pictures of your new place and Nick's school.

Renee said...

What better gesture to your family than somebody opening up their home to you! Fantastic. I'm really happy you guys made it back safe and sound. I hope you love being back in Ohio! It will be easier to see you now!