Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Enjoying the life of a stay at home mom....to be

I am officially a stay at home mom...(to be)! I was working as a nanny for a while and well, it just didn't work out. I was getting really stressed over little things and was expected to do more housework than usual. Most of my nanny jobs I made about $300 a week and wasn't expected to clean the house unless it was messes that the children and I made (because a nanny is expected to take care of the child not the home). With this past job I was doing my best but I couldn't clean the house for her (plus I was making less then half of what I usually make!). I can barely clean my own how am I going to clean someone else's?

Well, she wasn't to happy with this and basically let me go on Sunday. Which is OK because I was ready to quit anyway. So this week has been interesting for me.... I've never been one to stay at home, I enjoy being out and working; not so much working but being around other people. I like making my own money and feeling like I'm helping out with things.

Well, Monday was interesting. I thought I was going to go insane... I cleaned the house and watched TV and was still totally bored. I kept calling Nick at work but he can't talk long so it didn't help a ton. As soon as he got home I was so happy, plus we were going grocery shopping so I would be able to get out of the house.

Yesterday, was better =). I started organizing and re-decorating a little in our bedroom (the one room I ignore the most). I couldn't do it all but it already looks better. But, other than that the house was clean so I didn't have much to do other than laundry and picking things up. We went to the library because I still needed to find something to do in my free time, I decided reading was the best.(So if you have any suggestions on books to read please let me know). With all this free time, I decided to curl my hair and spend time on the way I look! Yay no more frumpy days!!!

Today has been a ton better, I got up early, because my visiting teachers came over then I ironed Nick's clothes for work and made breakfast since he went in late today. Slacker! But I don't have much to do, finish our room and maybe work on the hall closet which has turned into a junk closet, but we will see. Other than that read, nap and watch TV!

Monday totally sucked being home all day, I hated it and now I'm loving it. I have time to watch "Rachel Ray" and 2 episodes of "What Not to Wear" and still get more than enough done. Nick gets home and I'm in a great mood, which I know he loves seeing that I was a total beast before. My visiting teachers even said this morning that I look better and sound so much happier. Its totally true, I'm so much happier, I look at things in a more positive way, I'm excited to clean and organize things, not because I have to but because I want to and have time to. I have time to sit and play with my hair and makeup which I have always enjoyed doing, but before it was just hurry and get out the door.

I'm happier about this pregnancy, I'm loving every little thing he is doing. Not loving whatever he is doing to my pelvic bones but other than that, I'm loving everything! Reality hit harder this morning while talking to my mom. I was saying that I go to the doc next week and Ill be 34 weeks and if I'm still measuring 2 weeks ahead then... 36 weeks! 34 or 36 both of those numbers are extremely close to 40! Our little boy is going to be here really, really soon!

I never pictured myself as a stay at home mom, I never pictured myself as a mom actually but I'm enjoying my free time. I won't have as much time to myself for much longer but right now I'm totally enjoying every minute of it. I want to organize and clean everything. Read anything and relax which is something I have NEVER done. Plus, now I can get involved with more at church. Before I didn't have time after work I needed to get a million things done now its total freedom. Tonight I have an Enrichment Night and its getting to know everyone, since there are so many new women in the ward; which is perfect for me because I don't know anyone except my visiting teachers. Tomorrow is my water aerobics class, Friday is Nick's company picnic, and Saturday is Women's Conference, with a dinner at the Stake Center.

I do hate not making my own money and kind of stressing over what money we do have, but Nick tells me not to worry. Plus, me being in a better mood and keeping the house clean I know is enough for him. He loves getting home and relaxing and not having to listen to me nag him about me having to clean everything and how he gets to sit there and watch TV! Now we both relax, eat dinner and relax some more!

I'm never going to want to work again, I'm getting use to this "easy" life just a little too quickly!!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm glad you are enjoying cleaning. It took me 18 months of being a stay at home mom to decide that I had to do all the cooking and cleaning myself. I just felt like Dan should help too! But I agree that it is really gratifying to have a clean home.
I hate to burst your bubble though, it's MUCH harder after the baby comes. In my opinnion it is 10 times harder to be a stay at home mom than to work full-time. (And I can say that because I worked full-time at demanding jobs for over 8 years before I was a mom.) Because as a mom, you work literally 24 hours a day and 7 days a week with no days off (especially not holidays... can we say extra work?). But it is BETTER because the work you are doing is so important. You may not get a pay check in the way you are used to but you get paid in other ways. Children are our future and raising them is the highest honor on Earth!