Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where Were You?

It's a day that no one will forget. A day that our children will read about in history books, one that we all lived to tell the story about. I'm curious, where were you when you heard the news?

For me, I was a sophomore in high school, sitting in biology class when a girl ran down the hall yelling "We have been attacked" Now in my high school, you laugh at this, just another crazy person stoned on something loosing their mind. We went on with class, then I went to choir. The news was on and that's when it hit us, it was real. We sat there, an all girl choir, crying our eyes out, hugging and holding each other in disbelief. Then all the sudden we saw another plane, and watched as it hit the second tower. A few screamed, I sat there, I'm sure my jaw hit the floor. Did I really see what I think I just saw? We watched the towers fall, we watched people jumping from the buildings, we didn't miss a single thing. School that day wasn't the same, the teachers didn't teach, we just watched the news and talked about what was happening. Even in Spanish class, we watched the news, yes it was in spanish...and no I have no clue what was said, but it didn't matter. I knew what was going on, you didn't need to understand what was being said to know that our country was under attack. Fear covered the school that day, I thought many times that I was just going to walk home but for some reason never did till it was time to go home. There was a quiet calm over everything that day, Elyria was a quiet town, people just looked at each other with a look of fear and love for each other. According to a few friends, churches in town were full. Flags were hung everywhere....

Here we are 9 years later. A war still going on, and still remembering that horrible day. We haven't forgotten a single thing, the pictures still in our head, the anger for what happened still in our hearts, and the love for each and every person that has passed away due to this. 9 years is plenty of time to heal over most things, but every year on this day we stop and think, ponder and talk about that day. I promise you that's one of those days that you know every little thing about....I remember what I was wearing. Blue jeans, black flip flops, red purse and guess what....a black shirt with the NYC skyline on it, including both of those towers standing proud. I hold on to that shirt because of the memories and the coincidence.

Please share, where were you that day? How did you hear the news?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I was honking my horn outside a neighbor's house. I took her to school and she was late because she was watching the news. When she told me what had happened, I didn't even know what the WTC was and had NO idea how big of a deal it was. I just was annoyed that I had to wait for her to come out for so long. Needless to say, I felt foolish later.