Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pediatrician Problems

Nick and I are not impressed with the pediatrician we chose for Neacel. The doctor came highly recommended from a few friends so we decided to stick with him. We should have seen a problem with him and the office staff before but we didn't know what we were looking for. We are completely new to this!

Our first visit was a meeting Dr. Hurley. This should have been a HUGE red flag but we shrugged it off. We were meeting with him just to talk and get to know him. He, for some odd reason, didn't know we were coming! We had an appointment at 5:30 and he had a patient to see at 6. He showed up close to 6 and the conversation was very brief and quick. He had a patient to get to and well I guess that was slightly more important. Nick and I left saying he seemed nice and since he has been recommended to us by several people we would stick with him.

At the birth, he never showed! The doctor didn't come to see Neacel till Friday afternoon and said that the people at the hospital never contacted him. My nurse Martha said they had called a few times and apparently he never got the message. That was the last time the doctor saw Neacel. The rest of my hospital stay we were seeing other pediatricians in the same office. I understand that people get time off but you can't come to the hospital for 15 minutes to check on my little boy? I wouldn't have to see a different doctor if I came to your office. We talked to him a little while he was there the one day and everything was fine. But the whole time I kinda felt that he looked down on us, like we were too young to be parents and have no idea what we are doing.

Today, was the 2 week check up. Neacel is now 9lbs and 6oz! I had an appointment at 11:20 this morning and received a call a little after 9:30 saying that they needed me to come in before 11 because Dr. Hurley didn't realize he had to do a circumcision and that he was a little over booked! Why aren't the office staff watching how they book appointments and how come my doctor for the second time now didn't know something? I showed up around 11:10, I made an appointment and if they can't keep track of things and whats going on oh well, that's their problem not mine! So the doctor was asking questions about how he is eating, sleeping, activity, etc. I answered everything but he still would just give me this dumb-founded look, so I would then have to explain myself. I didn't see why I needed to explain that he sleeps a ton (3-4 hours), eats a ton (4oz+ each time he eats) and is very active and happy! He wanted to know "exacts", like how many hours between each feeding, when he is looking around does he look at Nick and I and stare, how many ounces he is eating exactly, etc. I don't keep a chart marking everything down, call me a bad mom but I don't see the need for it. I'm not going to write down what every dirty diaper was like and how many ounces he ate. I pay attention and can give you pretty accurate information. Again, I feel that he is totally looking down on me and how I'm raising my child.

We got the circumcision done and he is explaining everything to me like I'm 16! I know that its a cosmetic procedure, and I know what it entails, please don't talk to me like I'm 16 and some stupid teenager! Then when I decided to stay in the room he looked at me in shock, sorry I want to be there for my little boy while he is screaming and crying! I left the office not in the best mood and a little disappointed but again I shrugged it off! When I got home I called Nick and told him a little, and then Nick reminded me that Dr. Hurley told us in the hospital that at Neacel's 2 week check up we would do immunizations. Guess what? They didn't! Didn't even mention it but they took his charts and everything and saw that it hadn't been done at that point.

Nick and I are going to find a different doctor. We aren't impressed with him or the staff, but how do we know which doctor is right? I want that perfect doctor that seems to love his job and adores children. One where the office and rooms are bright colors and totally just for kids and where the doctor and the staff are just friendly and greet you as soon as you walk in the door! How do we go about finding that perfect doctor? When we go to meet a pediatrician what are somethings we should ask and look for? Any recommendations for doctors in the area? We just want someone that we like and one that doesn't forget about us! And of course, totally kid friendly!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, LITERALLY, we went through about 6 different pediatricians before Dallin was even 4 months!!! I know that sounds insane but when it comes to your baby's well-being, you need someone you feel good about.
When we finally found the one that we now take our boys to I knew he was good because I didn't have to ask the questions. He answered all of my questions with out me even asking. He gave me all the info. He "made friends" with my kids before just jumping right in to the doctoring! He took his time and would hang out in the room with us for as long as it took to make sure that all of my questions were answered and I felt good about things. He gave me his CELL # when Dallin was having all of those problems and his direct # as well.
Seriously, just take him how ever many pediatricians that you have to until you find one that you really feel good about.
I love the boys' pediatrician and since I moved I drive about 35 minutes (when there is no traffic) to take them there but I wont take them to anyone else! :-))

Jessica said...

We just got lucky with Sophie. I loved her pediatrician in Sandy (Dr. Palmeri) and her current one here is great too. So I don't know if I have any good methods to share... but I think you should keep looking until you are happy. Because you deserve it!

Cieslak Family said...

That is so crazy! Danielle's doctor was recommended to us by Dr. Terry's nurse. And we haven't had any problems with him. There's anothe Doctor in his office that my sister in law really likes. You could check them out if you like, just email me and I'll send you their information.

We can't wait to come see little Neacel again, unfortunately we will have to wait some more because Danielle is sick again. I hate the sick season. Once she's really over it we'll let you know. I hope things are going good for you guys.

-Stacie

keightlynn said...

That's terrible! It kinda sounds like what I've gone through with my nurse/midwife (her thinking I am too young and all). What is wrong with doctors these days?