Sunday, October 10, 2010

Maybe I Can..

So my motto when it comes to crafts has always been "I'll just pay for other people's craftiness." I've wanted to be crafty but it's never been a possibility with Quilted Bear around me. Well, now there is no craftiness around me, and even if there was, I have no money to purchase it. So I am finally learning how to be crafty on a budget, and I'll even admit that it's fun!

So my first attempt was making a car seat canopy for Broden. I don't have a picture, because I still need to buy a car seat and a picture would just be a big piece of square brown and blue fabric! So a friend of mine that lives about an hour away just opened a kids consignment shop, like kid to kid. Well, I thought what an opportunity, so after talking to her and figuring things out I made 3 car seat canopies for her store. The store just opened so things are slow but the ones I made are adorable. I still have yet to get pictures of those too. So I'm making these canopies now for extra money. I'm only charging $30 for them when they go for $50+ anywhere else. Of course, I haven't made anything yet but I'm hoping soon that things will take off. I'm thinking about posting an ad on craigslist for them, and maybe putting them in a few other kids stores around here, what do you think? Should I go for it, or wait till after I have Brody to see what I can handle?

For those of you that don't know, I love to bake! I love new recipes and trying new things. I enjoy having homemade sweets in the house for no reason. Well, in a previous post I mentioned that we were going apple picking; well we didn't because I have a husband that knows me better than I know myself. I wanted to go pick apples to make a homemade, from scratch apple pie. Nick knew that picking apples would be torture for him and Neacel, plus the wheather wasn't great so he bought me a large bag of apples. So the other night, I put a movie on for Neacel while Nick was at school and went to town. I peeled and cut 3lbs of apples, and did the fancy top on the pie and everything.


Before and after picture of the pie

Was it worth it? Yes! Would I do it again? If I was trying to show off or something!

It took almost 2 hours just to get everything sliced and put it all together. I'm happy to say that I love that I can now say that I've made a pie from scratch, but I think I'll let Martha Stewart keep her job. I think the next big baking project will have to be a chocolate lava cake or something from my Ghirardelli recipe book. Those are my loves, recipe books, I have plenty but at the same time not enough.

Neacel is getting his own wall in the house too! He loves to color, and I want to be able to display his work and yet its so hard to pick which ones to keep. So every month he is going to color 4 pictures with a theme (this month is Halloween, Nov-Thanksgiving etc etc) Those 4 pictures will be framed and changed every month and those will be the ones that I hold onto. School nights are also mommy & Neacel nights, we are going to start doing more crafts and fun things, so that when Brody gets here, he will know that he can count on something fun those nights, whether its coloring, finger paint, baking....anything!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Great job Mandy! That pie looks amazing. You'll have to post pictures of the canopy installed when you have a car seat. Sounds really cute though!
I don't know if this is any consolation but in my experience everything is harder the first time, I bet if you made another pie it would take you much less time.